February 01, 2011

Titus Benjamin Ashby






Titus Benjamin Ashby was born at 4:07am on January 25th. 7bls, 13 oz. 19 inches long. We made a little family pool and Lincoln won! Who would have thought after having babies 3, 6, and 11 days late that the forth one would be only one day late?! I woke up at 2am and thought: I don't feel good, what's going on? Then I realized it was a contraction. I told Joseph and he didn't really respond. I went to the bathroom and laid in bed and wondered: could this be it?! Strange to wake up to a contraction, but it's way too soon to have this baby. 30 mins later I had another intense contraction and so I tried to wake Joseph up again. This time I got through to him. I had another contraction maybe 10 mins later and at that point I realized we better not play around, we need to get moving. (Lincoln's birth was really fast and we had a 20 min car ride this time...) Joseph called our friend to come over and stay with our kids and was loading stuff up in the car.

When we got to the birth center, we were actually at the front desk about twice as long than we were in the room before I had the baby. Even though I pre-registered, she still had two forms for me to fill out. I'm like really?! now?! I was going to have Joseph do them until I realized it would be better for me to do it while he pushed on my back. Anyway, I said something politely about how this is our forth kid and they come really fast and how we need to call the doctor. As soon as we got into the room Joseph asked the nurse if they had called the doctor yet. no, no. (I knew that I should have called the doctor myself at home...) Anyway, she checked me and I was fully effaced, dilated to 10cm and at a station of -2. They said they would call Dr. Jensen, but better call the resident too in case he didn't get there in time. Well, I had the baby at 4:07am before either doctor got there. But, at least I got there in time!! (I REALLY didn't want to have a baby in the car.)

Titus is not real fussy compared to our other babies and falls asleep by himself way better than any of our other babies. He does like to stay up ALL night and then sleep well during the day, but our other babies did that too. Last night was the first night that he slept more than an hour. Today he has been a little fussy and more awake (like he usually is when we are up with him at night.) I'm hoping that he can continue to be a little fussy during the day and then sleep good tonight.

Sleep has been a challenge. Sunday night (mon morning) before I had the baby, I was up all night with Lincoln who was sick. Monday night (tues morning) I woke up and had the baby. I dozed off at the hospital a bit. My favorite thing was when an unidentified person walked into my dark room where my baby and I were sleeping. (I wasn't all the way asleep, but kept my eyes closed because I didn't need anything.) This lady said: Are you leaving today? ARE YOU LEAVING TODAY? I opened my eyes and said yes. Then she said something to herself as she walked out like, I guess you don't need one of these then. I just think: could you have waited to ask me? OR could you have just asked one of my nurses. One time I did fall asleep and I got a phone call from the birth certificate lady who needed a lot of information. I just couldn't wait to get home. I have trouble falling asleep sometimes, but last night Titus slept so much more than he ever has before. I think I got six hours of sleep last night, in a row. Joseph woke up and fed the baby once, but I pretty much stayed asleep. It was SOOO nice. Hopefully, Titus will sleep good again tonight. Well, I've been working on this post all week! ha ha, I better just post it now or I probably never will!

2 comments:

Victoria Blanchard said...

Congratulations! He's beautiful! I hope you keep getting that sleep!

Annalisa said...

congrats! so happy for you & your family!!!