August 26, 2009

spanish

I've been meaning to write this down before I forget. Isabel seems to be handling or enjoying the spanish she learns at school. We were driving to a friend's house and Isabel said "we are leaving our casa (house)." Then she said wait a minute that's wrong. I can't say something and have just the last word be in spanish. That doesn't really make sense and she started laughing at herself. We thought it was pretty funny too.

Early Sunday morning Isabel and Ansel were hanging out and eating breakfast. When I got up Isabel said she had been teaching Ansel spanish. I was intrigued. Isabel said, "Ansel, how do you say 'red' in spanish?" He replied, "rojo." "How do you say white?" "blanco." I was really surprised! It seems like she is picking things up and not hating spanish like she did when I tried to teach it to her when she was little. (For those of you who do not know the story I would speak spanish to her all day and after a few days she started crying and said, "mom, please speak english to me." My heart broke and I decided I would/could not teach her spanish. So, I'm glad that we are finding another way to teach it to her.)

Also, last night we practiced a few of the Spanish sight words she needs to learn for the year and I was surprised at how many she already knew. I just made some flashcards with the color names on them. She practiced and was learning them pretty easily. I was afraid after 30 seconds, she would say something like: i'm too tired of all this hard work. But she didn't. So, hopefully she'll keep up the good work. We are so proud of that girl!

5 comments:

Brian And Lisa said...

Bueno Isabel! Keep up the good work.

Joseph said...

I've always hated when people speak half English and half Spanish. I'm so excited that Isabel feels the same way.

ccccmcrosby said...

muy bien! i'm sure it will be awesome. sorry about the half spanish half english. i do love how joe comments on this blog. so funny.

tamra said...

bummer, I was going to say "muy bien"! that's the only thing i know in spanish, beside "donde este el bano"? And I suppose that may be very helpful advice for Isabel. miss you guys! :)

tamra said...

esta.... i meant esta!