August 20, 2009

isabel's first day of school

We managed to get one photo before rushing off to school. We have a bit of a commute to school and we had a challenge getting all three kids up and ready way earlier than normal. We were only a few minutes late the first day. After careful consideration and research we decided to send Isabel away to Kindergarten this year. She goes to a school where they teach in spanish in the morning and english after lunch and then a few "specials" like PE, music and art. We figure if all the schools want to have her for a ridiculous 7 hours, at least we'll send her where she can get some spanish in there too.

There was a lot of anticipation leading to the first day of school. We had to buy her school supplies and uniforms. We practiced spanish and talked a lot about what school would be like. She was really excited. I heard her telling Ansel that when we took her to school he could not go with her to her class. Ansel was surprised and asked her why he couldn't go to school with her. It was pretty cute hearing them talk about it. She also practiced packing up her special pony backpack and lunchbox so many times before the big day.

She has always REALLY loved doing things herself and being super independent. So, I wanted her to be responsible for making her own lunches. She was thrilled to pack her own lunch for the first day of school. Tonight before she packed her lunch for the third day of school she said she didn't feel like doing it. I asked what she would eat for lunch if she didn't pack it and she said she wanted me to pack it for her. I was busy cleaning up from dinner so she did it. I hope that we can keep up the routine of her doing it. When I asked her what her favorite thing at school was she said nothing...but she was excited to go back for day #2. So, what more could we want.

Oh, here is a crazy story. So, when Joseph went to pick Isabel up from the first school she was in the line to ride the bus home. (They even wrote her bus number on her hand.) When she walked away with Joseph, the teacher (who doesn't speak much english) came after and asked what was going on, isn't she riding the bus. I don't know HOW Isabel could have gotten on a bus list because I never even got any information on busing because I knew we were not going to do it. Also, we have moved since I enrolled and the school had our OLD address. So, we were a little freaked out thinking of our poor sweet little 4 year old girl getting kicked off a bus in a bad part of town nowhere near where we live now. I'm just very proud of my husband for being early to pick her up. Needless to say, we have personally told the teacher and office several times that Joseph will be picking her up, we updated information over the phone with the school and filled out additional paperwork turned into the office.

2 comments:

Brian N Lisa said...

Good Job Joe. And a really big congratulations to Isabel. Learning Spanish will be fun. Your Uncle Brian was in a class like taht when he started Jardin de Ninos. It was fun we learned days of the week numbers and Names of Months and other things. I even have somewhere in my stuff my kindergarten diploma. It was in Spanish and English. Te amo Ashbys
Brian N Lisa

Joseph said...

I still lay awake at nights worrying about my little girl going to school.